Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Vino Bianco from Sorrento

This weekend I had the chance to visit Sorrento, Italy and taste the 'vino locale bianco' at dinner. The wine that comes from Sorrento falls into the Campania region. This is because there are 20 different wine regions in Italy, that correspond to the different political regions. There is also over 350 grapes that have been documented by Italy's Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and given "authorized status".

The wine I h
ad for dinner, from Ristorante del Fino, had a hint of fruit but was on the dry side, which I adored. It was one of the best white wines I have ever had. I always wanted to have a glass of Italian wine and be in the city it was from. I felt like I was living a dream, drinking my glass of wine, while the sun set over the sea behind us. Our waiter, Roberto, recommended the wine, and having read about this restaurant in Rick Steve's book I was confident in Roberto's suggestion. He said the wine was made not far from where we were staying and eating dinner in Marina Grande.

Although not considered
wine, I also had a chance to try the limoncello made in Sorrento. The lemons in this region are amazing. They grow extremely large and are very sweet. Every restaurant we ate at gave us free samples of limoncello to try. The people in Sorrento are extremely proud of this product, and they should be because it has a wonderful taste and quality. It is sweet and refreshing but with a strong kick at the end. I had to buy some for my family back home!

Reference:
"Italian Wine." Wikipedia. 20 May 2008. 21 May 2008 .

No comments: