Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Café: A great way to start off the day!

The first day of class in Rome meant the first day of breakfast in Rome as well. On the walk to school alone it is possible to come across 10 to 20 cafés that will serve various items for breakfast; they are everywhere! For my first taste of a real Italian breakfast I chose to have a croissant, a banana, and a water. The croissant was amazing. The outside was layered with what seemed a sugary icing that really did help to sweeten my first day of class. The inside was light and fluffy. I kept telling myself to eat it slower but I couldn't control myself. It was so delicious that I ate it in less an three minutes! I know that water is not typical for most Italians in the morning but I just don't like the taste of coffee; I am much more of an orange juice person. I told myself though that I have to try a cappuccino some time while I am here. It was interesting to watch the locals order and eat their breakfast and compare it to how I was eating my own breakfast. They seemed much more comfortable with the idea of standing and enjoying breakfast, where I was dying for a nice chair. It seems that the cafés are a meeting place for people in the morning time. They seem cheerful and excited about their upcoming day. I chose to observe and learn about cafés in the morning because I enjoy breakfast and found the activity in the café interesting. Each time I am in the café for breakfast I plan on trying something new. I hope every morning just keeps getting more and more delicious!

No comments: