Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Procession inside Saint Peter's

While I was examining the different sculptures, paintings, and mosaics that lined the walls and ceiling of Saint Peter's I noticed the center of the church was beginning to be guarded off. As more and more people noticed they began to gather around the make shift block aids. I, not knowing much of anything about what happens in church, joined the crowd.

Well, I am so glad that I did join in because I was able to see the procession of ministers and cardinals! I had never seen anything like it before. Everyone walked at the same pace, and held the same, emotionless expression on their face. One of the boys was holding an incense that carried the smell of the resin of trees throughout all of Saint Peter's.

After the procession was over, I learned that the three cardinals at the end of the procession were some of the most powerful people in the Catholic church. I was extremely humbled to be able to be so close to people in such power. I have never even been that close to any of the United States presidents!

No comments: