Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Caffelatte vs. Caffe Americano


When Americans travel to Italy and desire a coffee, they sometimes run into trouble when ordering at a cafe. When they say they wish to have a caffe they think they are ordering a cup of regular coffee, but they are sadly mistaken when their hot beverage arrives. Caffelatte literally means coffee and milk, but this drink is made with warm milk as opposed to cold milk, like in the States. It is also generally drank in the morning hours and made with espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk.

Cafe Americano is what those wishing to have a cup of 'Joe' or regular coffee from the States must order. This is simply your typical roasted coffee beans, that can be ordered with milk and sugar.

I had my first experience of a caffelatte this weekend. I enjoy the aroma that coffee emits but I have never enjoyed the taste. However, like I stated in a previous blog, I must try different caffes and cappuccinos while I am in Italy. I took one sip of the caffelatte and knew I was not about to change to a coffee lover that morning. It had a slightly bitter taste and left an unwelcoming after taste in my mouth. I was proud that I gave it a try but I'm now even more hesitant about trying a cappuccino!


"Latte." Wikipedia. 12 May 2008. 25 May 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_latte.

No comments: