Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Spremuta!


As I stated in my previous blog I am not a coffee person at all, so today I was ecstatic to try spremuta. It is freshly squeezed orange juice served in many of the cafes. The orange is cut in half right in front of you and freshly squeezed into a fairly small glass.

This morning I, along with Ilana, went to Bar Amore for breakfast. It is on our way to school, and although it was a bit pricey, 3,50
euro for a glass of spremuta, it was worth it. The first thing I asked the man who worked there when I walked in was, "do you serve spremuta?". When he shook his head yes, I immediately ordered one. Then I saw all the delicious pastries they had to offer. There were croissants, donuts, danish, cookies, cakes and more. Everything looked so good I had no idea what to choose, and the man serving me was getting a little impatient with my indecisiveness so he moved on to the locals in need of fast service.

I finally decided on a donut. I don't even like donuts at home but these looked amazing. They were covered with sugar and didn't appear to be greasy. He asked if we preferred to sit, which surprised me that they even had seats because most cafes don't inside, and we immediately said yes. I did want to try and emulate the locals by standing, conversing, and eating my breakfast but with my bag, computer and umbrella it was too much. I will have to try it on a day I don't need my laptop for class. I think I am addicted to the spremuta!

1 comment:

Tom Benson said...

One of the reasons that the spremuta d'arancia was so expensive was that you said you would like to sit at a table. There is usually a lower price for those standing at the bar. You might also want to look for bars that have a centrifuge -- a juicer in which they can extract juices (and combinations of) carrots, pineapple, apple, strawberry . . . wonderful.