Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Alone in Rome

Today was the first day I was alone in the city! I walked all the way home from class by myself, and I felt completely at ease. I knew exactly where I was going, exactly where to turn right and left, and how to forcefully cross the busy streets. I never felt scared or nervous, which was a delightful feeling. Before I came to Rome, lots of people, family and friends included, had me terrified to go anywhere alone in the city. After today, I feel like all those worried feelings are gone.

I also went to the Standa, known as the grocery store, alone today too. I was able to get everything I needed much faster than I ever could with a big group. The only thing was carrying all of my groceries back by myself was a hassle, but I found a new shortcut home so it was OK.

All in all I was really proud of myself today. I feel like I actually
live in Rome now, as opposed to just studying in Rome. It is a really comforting feeling to feel at home; when your real home is so many miles away!

1 comment:

Tom Benson said...

Brooke -- good going! This is in fact a big accomplishment, and you have found your way to it just the right way. There is always so much more of Rome, and of Italy, to explore, and gradually it shows us more and more. But we never see it all. And this has happened in just two weeks!