Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The more vino the better!

When one thinks of Italy some of the first things that come to mind are the food, the architecture, and of course the wine. This is because Italy is second only to France when it comes to the amount of wine that is produced by all the countries in the world. In the Italian language wine is called vino, and it is an extremely important aspect of Italian culture.

Almost every cafe, restaurant, and food store has wine to serve or buy. In the city of
Rome there are numerous wine bars where one can sample different types of wine and many of the restaurants give suggestions about which type of wine should be paired with your meal. Outside the city, there are vineyards covering the entire country of Italy. A good glass or bottle of wine is extremely easy to come across in Rome. The prices are also fantastic. A delicious and tasty wine can run you as little as 5 Euro! I am a wine lover, but I don't really know that much about how wine is made, how to properly smell, taste, and drink wine, or when and why people drink wine so much here in Italy. I am hoping that observing and researching about wine made in Italy will allow me to become a real wine enthusiast as opposed to someone that only enjoys drinking wine. I have found a few wine bars right in our neighborhood that I can't wait to visit, and I plan on visiting a vineyard in Tuscany. They seem like good places to start to learn more about wine. I could imagine being in a more perfect place than Italy to learn about wine!

No comments: