Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Monday, May 19, 2008

Jewish Experience in Rome!

Today it seemed that my Jewish heritage was following me all around the city. To start with, on our walk to school we passed a beautiful synagogue. It was by far the most elaborate I have ever seen. I should add that although I am Jewish, I am not very religious, but I really thought it was neat to see the synagogue and be able to tell my grandfather about it. I know Professor Benson told us we would be visiting it sometime during the summer, and now that I have seen it I am really excited to see the inside. Also, today on our walk home from school we passed a street performer playing a violin. The strange thing was that he was playing the song "Hava Negila", which is a Jewish folk song that means "let us rejoice"! I couldn't believe that in a city dominated by Catholics, this man was playing a song played at almost every Jewish wedding and bar and bat mitzvah! My final Jewish experience of the day came when I passed by a Roman Jewish restaurant. They had all sorts of Kosher meats and foods. I was so shocked to see this restaurant, and I can not wait to come back! Ilana, a fellow Jew in the program, is planning on coming back with me too!

No comments: