Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Retrospective

Throughout my seven weeks in Rome I was able to explore many piazzas, have breakfast in numerous cafes, and sample different kinds of Italian wine.

I chose piazzas as one of my places to blog about because they are an extremely important part of Italian life and culture. You can run into a piazza in Rome on almost every walk you take. Piazza Navona was one of the main piazzas I chose to focus on. It is one of the larger piazzas in Rome and contains The Fontana del Nettuno and Sant'Agnese in Agone.

I chose wine as one of my themes because Italy is known for its wine and I knew I would be traveling to Tuscany during my seven weeks. I have always enjoyed wine but have never taken the time to understand how it made or the proper way to drink it.

Finally, I chose cafes and Italian breakfast as my last theme because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. The Italian morning routine in cafes is entirely different than American morning routine. In cafes, Italians stand and socialize while sipping cappuccino or caffes. They enjoy pastries in the morning as opposed to cereal or eggs. Most cafe shelves are filled with croissants, donuts, or creme filled pastries. The cafe is a meeting place for Italians in the morning and afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing the Italian culture by visiting the piazzas, drinking the wine, and dining in the cafes. I loved learning about my themes and places and hope that these blogs allowed you all to learn about them as well!

No comments: