Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Galleria Doria Pamphilj

The Galleria Doria Pamphilj, located to the right of our school in Piazza del Collegio Romano, is home to the biggest collection of paintings in Rome. The gallery is privately owned by the Doria Pamphilj family and contains paintings and sculptures by Raphael, Bernini, Caravaggio, Titan and various other artists [1].

The collections are displayed in the gallery in state rooms and in a "series of four gilded and painted galleries" around the courtyard [2]. I have been told that when I visit I must see Raphael's painting of a double-portrait of two well-dressed men. Although it is rather plain, it is extremely well-known and worth admiring! Also Velazquez's portrait of Innocent X, which is housed in the same room as Bernini's bust of Innocent X, is a painting I would like to see [2]. It is said to be one of the gallery's greatest paitnings.


[1] EyeWitness Guide pg 50-1-51

[2]
"Doria Pamphilj Gallery ." Wikipedia. 6 June 2008. 16 Jun 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doria_Pamphilj_Gallery.

No comments: