Enjoy reading my blog throughout my 7 weeks in Roma this summer! Ciao!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kosher Wine

Today I was finally able to go to dinner in the Jewish Ghetto at a Kosher ristorante with Ilana and her mom. To go along with my dinner I decided to try some Kosher wine. While doing some research about Kosher wine in Italy to my surprise I found an article that said Kosher wine is on the rise in Italy, especially in Milan and Rome.

To be considered Kosher wine there are many rules that must be followed. First, to abide by Jewish law only followers of the Jewish faith may come in contact with the wine. Second, no yeast products made from animals may be used in the production of the wine. Finally, the vineyard producing the wine must shut down production every seven years and rest.


There are about twelve vineyards in Italy currently producing Kosher wine. "Giordano is the biggest, producing two million bottles a year, all of which is destined for the markets in the United states and Canada".
I have to admit that back in the States the only Kosher wine I have ever had was Manishevitz, and I am not very fond of it. The wine I had tonight at dinner was delicious. It was a little sweet and so much better than the cheap Manishevitz wine we typically have for Jewish holidays.

"Kosher wine production in Italy on the rise." Italy 16 June 2008 25 Jun 2008.

No comments: